Thursday, February 21, 2008

Farset Graduates from Puppy Class

Farset graduated from puppy class on Wednesday.  

She is now about 4 ½ months old (20 weeks) and up to 68 pounds. At this point, there better be a darn good reason for me to pick her up. Getting her into the car when Lagan is in the car is one of those reasons.

Farset started the class when she was 10 weeks old.  The instructor, the other student, and I figure that Farset gained 40 pounds while in the class. She went from a small harness to a large harness during that time. When we started the class, she was smaller than her classmate, a cocker spaniel. When we finished, she was so big the cocker spaniel could walk under her and had been able to do so for several weeks. I just wish we had taken a before and after picture. I do have an after picture that I will eventually post.

She learned so much in that class.  Things that were never covered in all of the obedience classes that I had taken with Lagan.  I haven't decided if I am going to move her up to the intermediate class soon or if I want to wait a little while.  I would like to work on conformation (what they judge in dog shows)with Lagan and her.  There is a class on Tuesday nights
at a different place.  It is a drop in kind of class, you just go when you can.  
I would also like to take Lagan through the intermediate class.  He could use the practice. 

It figures that a week before the end of class, Farset "forgot" the "down" command.  She also forgot how to stay.  She is driving me crazy in that respect.  I think that it is just a matter of working through it.  Some of it is due to her wanting to be close to me.  Right now, she inevitably breaks a stay or wait when I am out of view.  So we have been working on all of it here at home.

There are two practice matches coming up.  One at the fairgrounds on Feb 23rd and one at the Durham Kennel Club on March 8th.  I really want to enter her in both of them.  I would love to bring both her and Lagan to the event at the fairgrounds on Saturday, but there is no way for me to handle both of them in that kind of situation.  I can do ok when they are both just walking around outside, but not with a big crowd inside.  Yet another thing to practice.

So much to do, so little time.

No comments: