Sunday, July 13, 2008

Farset is 9 months old

Farset turned 9 months old on July 7th. We went to the vet on Friday, July 11th, and she is up to 127 pounds. She is almost as tall as Lagan and may get close to his weight at 10 months. He was 140 pounds when he was 10 months old. He then lost 10 pounds, and bounced up and down between 130 and 140 for several years. I wouldn't be surprised of she tops out at 140 (10 stone for my English readers). It is definitely possible that she will get taller than Lagan. After all, her mother was about two inches taller than Lagan. I'll have to wait and see. Her weight had been pretty stable at 115 for about a month and a half.

Lagan's weight is in the 175 to 180 pound range which I consider too heavy. As I said earlier, he weighed in at 140 for a long time. It was only once we got Farset that Lagan suddenly became very food obsessed. I have cut back on his dry food and am adding in cooked broccoli stems pieces as added fiber to help him feel full.

Since we got Farset, he has been getting a lot more exercise. She certainly makes sure that he runs around a lot. I also take him and Farset out on walks usually twice a day, depending on my work schedule and the weather. If you have ever seen my driveway, you will know that those are not easy walks. I may have to go to a weight reduction food in hopes that it will help.

The problem with monitoring Lagan's weight is that he is not easy to weigh. I have to take him to the vet to get weighed. I usually weigh Farset at PetSmart when we are there. I'm not sure that Lagan will even fit onto the scale at Banfield (it is in a box instead of being out on the floor like at most vets. I've been going by how he feels and looks.

No comments: