Thursday, October 25, 2007

Puppies at 18 days

I had a chance to visit the puppies today. They are now 18 days old and are walking around with their eyes open. They seem to only have two states, on and off. Either they are running around playing with each other, playing with some of the toys, and feeding from mom; or they are sleeping. I took pictures that I will post soon.

I had the opportunity to pick them all up and give them a little time on their backs and suspended in the air holding their body with my hand with their legs dangling. I am trying to give them some new body sensations to improve their reactions to novel situations later in life. I waited for them to settle down before I would let put them down. I wanted them to learn that only by being calm, they would be able to get back to the other puppies.

I also helped cut their toenails. Next time I do that, I'm planning to give them something wonderful to taste while I do it. I want them to have a positive association with getting their nails trimmed. I am also going to touch their feet and mouth so that they are used to that kind of handling. I waited for them to calm down after I trimmed their nails before returning them to the pen and other puppies.

It looks like we will be able to take her home on Friday, Nov 23. I can't wait (although there are so many things I need to do before she comes here).

Of the four females, one is one of the smaller dogs of the litter. It looks like she will be a lighter brindle. She seems comfortable sleeping away from the other puppies. She is not as food focused as most of the other puppies. One of the females is very curious and confident. She is already playfully attacking her litter mates. The other two females seem kind of middle of the road, not too reserved or friendly, not dominant or submissive, not big or small. I'll have to wait and see how they develop.

The answer to the question "How much will she weigh when you adopt her?" is 20 - 25 pounds.

No comments: